The cyber security frontline: your business
Eugene Kapersky - the founder of Kaspersky Lab, the world’s largest privately-held anti-malware vendor – made four important points in his cybersecurity seminar at Infosec 2013:
- “Every company is a victim of cyber attacks, whether they know it or not;”
- Even smaller businesses have a critical role to play in preventing cyber attackers from using them as stepping stones to bigger victims;
- Governments (and, by my extension, critical national infrastructure organisations) have an essential duty to move their services to more secure environments where cyber attack is very difficult; and
- Everyone – governments in particular, as they control large budgets and regulatory powers – must contribute to the drive to increase the universe of cyber security skills.
From a ‘take action’ point of view, this translates into
- Carry out a cyber security risk assessment as soon as possible, and act on the findings; and
- Initiate a programme of cyber skills security training amongst your IT team.
In the dark world of cyber security, your inattention will bring you to the attention of cyber attackers.